Monday, September 9, 2024

Why teach math history?

    History is incredibly important as it connects the past with the present and future in ways that may not be immediately obvious. As future math teachers, we need to have a good understanding of the history of mathematics to effectively teach our students. One of the wonderful things about being a teacher is the ability to customize our curriculum. Therefore, I personally believe that starting each lecture with a brief overview of math history is crucial. It's important to pay homage to those who came before us. For example, I greatly appreciate it when individuals of Aboriginal descent start by acknowledging their treaties before speaking in the classroom. This helps us recognize their historical legacy and respect their culture. After our historical reflection, I will proceed with my lesson plan.

    It's important to remember that history plays a vital role in connecting the past with the present and future. As future math teachers, it's essential for us to have a good understanding of the history of mathematics in order to effectively teach our students. As teachers, we have the ability to customize our curriculum, and I personally believe that starting each lecture with a brief overview of math history is crucial. It's important to pay homage to those who came before us. For example, I greatly appreciate it when individuals of Aboriginal descent start by acknowledging their treaties before speaking in the classroom. This helps us recognize their historical legacy and respect their culture. After our historical reflection, I will proceed with my lesson plan.

    Another interesting point, similar to Tzanakis and Arcavi's article, is that history may lead to the promotion of cultural bias and nationalism. It is the role of the teacher to address these issues in a thoughtful manner. Introducing these sensitive topics to a classroom full of young adults requires careful delivery. The article emphasizes that understanding historical contexts can boost student engagement and motivation. It would be interesting to explore how these historical stories can make math more relatable and captivating for students.

**EDITS** 

    Tzanakis and Arcavi's (2000) emphasize how historical context will humanize the subject at hand. Students who frequently view the content as unchanging and unconnected may find it more relevant using this method. Although I thought this was fascinating, I questioned if it would be possible to include historical stories into high school curricula given the time limits. The authors also believe that by demonstrating the necessity of concepts, such as zero or irrational numbers, examining their historical evolution will enhance the students understanding of concepts. Despite my concerns about how to strike a balance between history and the abstract requirements of contemporary mathematics, this is consistent with my view of teaching math as more than memory.

The idea that incorporating history might address affective aspects like lowering fear and boosting confidence was one unexpected statement. Students may be inspired to accept their own challenges by hearing about the blunders and perseverance of mathematicians, which is in line with the Thinking Classrooms paradigm I'm investigating. So I wonder how to make sure the portrayal of history stays true to itself and doesn't simplify or stereotype cultural contributions. 



3 comments:

  1. Good points, Brandon! I’m glad that while you strongly believe in the value of incorporating history in your math lessons, you are thinking about how to approach it thoughtfully.

    Please follow the blog posts instructions more closely. It would be great to see you making more connections to the reading. Susan asked for reflection on 2-3 points from the reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandon, please follow Erica's suggestions to raise the mark on this blog post from 1 to 2! Thanks

    ReplyDelete