When I think back on my presentation on the Monty Hall Problem, it's evident that Sahl and I developed a concrete, interactive visual representation of the problem, which was an excellent strategy for holding the attention of our audience. We also wanted to interact with our audience, so we created a comical poem for our introduction as an icebreaker. The three doors were constructed using giant popsicle sticks, which offered a unique look that contributed to the practicality of the abstract ideas presented. Since it enables the audience to actively interact with the problem and get a firsthand look at the game's principles, this type of practical presentation is very successful in making math approachable and enjoyable. I can honestly say our presentation's high point was how effective the physical model reinforced our probability ideas and helped explain the Monty Hall problem. Yes, our art piece broke on the way to UBC, but our concept still spoke for itself.
Regarding areas for improvement, I need to increase my presentation skills. It would be beneficial to practice more seamless transitions between sections, making sure every idea is fully clarified before presenting. The mathematical history of the Monty Hall issue was more fascinating by including additional storytelling components, which provided context and made the problem more relatable. Additional background information regarding the problem's historical roots, including its connection to the television program "Let's Make a Deal," and how it developed into the well-known probability puzzle was also another highlight for us. This additional information enhanced our presentation by helping the audience in appreciating the social and cultural context.
This experience was wonderful because I personally learned a new concept that I found to be both intriguing and applicable in various real-life situations. As we discussed the implications of the puzzle, I realized how understanding probability can influence decision-making processes, not just in games but also in everyday choices. This newfound knowledge has encouraged me to explore further into the world of statistics and its relevance in our daily lives. I am now motivated to seek out more opportunities to apply these concepts, fostering a deeper understanding of how data shapes our experiences and perspectives. I would love to have the opportunity to enroll in a graduate studies program. This project motivated me to conduct additional research.
Thank you !!
Presentation Link: Monty Hall PowerPoint
A great project, and your 'doors' and theatrical opening really made it interesting and much easier to understand. Excellent work!
ReplyDelete