Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Homework Slip: Thoughts on Word Problems

    Word problems contain a long heritage, dating back to the application of math in practical contexts by ancient societies. They became a staple in math education, fostering analytical and creative abilities developing over time. When I am teaching in the future, I would make education exciting by using word problems to help students relate mathematical ideas to real-world situations. I could, for instance, design arithmetic problems that are inspired by current affairs or personal hobbies. My main goal here  to inspire learners creative thinking. I am to refrain from presenting really difficult or impractical challenges since they might irritate students or undermine their self-confidence. Rather, aim for equilibrium, making sure the issues are difficult yet manageable. 

    Lesson plans have become an important topic in relation to student success. Teachers are encouraged to personalize their lesson plans as every student should experience a new feeling from one teacher to the other. If I were to incorporate structure in the classroom, it would begin with a clear objective and goal. Once the objective and goals are distinguished at the beginning of a lesson, I will begin with a clear definition of the concept. Next, I would provide examples of fast-attainable math problems so my students can grasp these new concepts through repetition. For example, if I were to teach a math concept to my class, simple questions like "8x4, 9x5, 7x6" would be a great starting point. Simple concepts first.  I believe, as a future teacher, the importance of lesson planning becomes very apparent here. I would ask these questions in the form of class participation, pencil-to-paper arithmetic, and word problems. 

    Word problems play a significant role in the math curriculum. With having old math materials from the past 4500 years, With old math material for the past 4500 years, the importance of implementing this style of mathematics would be neat. Creating an opportunity for students to learn about Ancient Egyptian and Akkadian, through a math curriculum that consist word problems. As a future educator, I am always fortunate that I am on the land of Indigenous people given the opportunity to teach here. 


*EDIT*

    Understanding the origins and development of word problems, I would carefully include them into my math lessons to foster problem-solving abilities and make connections between arithmetic and everyday situations. Word problems help students develop a crucial ability for using math in daily life: the ability to transform language into mathematical processes. However, I would refrain from employing word problems that appear phony or unrelated to the experiences of the students, as these might irritate them and make math seem unimportant. Rather, I would use examples that relate to the lives of the students and the individualized, practical learning that is emphasized in the British Columbia math curriculum. To relate math to real-world chores, I would, for instance, use a word problem involving garden planning, as we're always in the garden for class or figuring out how much material is required for a school project while teaching measuring. In order to connect math to real-world decisions, I may assign students to tackle tasks like calculating interest on savings or planning for a family vacation while teaching financial literacy (a subject included in the BC curriculum). Word puzzles like this encourage critical thinking and give math a sense of relevance.

    Having students design their own word problems based on historical settings would be another interesting strategy that would enable them to observe how math was used to solve practical issues in the past. In addition to making math more approachable, this supports BC's emphasis on inquiry-based learning and hands-on instruction. Students might solve relevant geometric or algebraic problems while measuring and modelling real-world items, such as creating a garden plan or a miniature replica of an old building. In order apply probability lessons to the real-world applications that students encounter today, we may relate historical gambling concerns to contemporary diversions of opportunity.

    This method highlights the ongoing significance of mathematics throughout history and promotes cross-disciplinary learning by combining geography, history, and math subjects. In keeping with BC's emphasis on experiential and competency-based learning, we may enhance students' comprehension by drawing parallels between historical and contemporary applications rather of letting them stop using word problems.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Brandon. You haven't really given a full and substantive response in this blog post. Your first paragraph is promising, talking a bit about the kinds of word problems you might offer your students. But your second paragraph is a very generic discussion of lesson planning (not the topic here!) and the multiplication questions you list are not really relevant for the BC secondary math curriculum -- they are more relevant for elementary students in the early grades. Similarly, your third paragraph does not engage with any new substantive about word problems as far as I can see.

    Please add an **EDIT to revisit this topic with some substantial original ideas relating to the history of word problems and their use in secondary math classrooms today! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the good update on this post! It's all fine now.

    ReplyDelete